Biodol Therapeutics made a breakthrough discovery on the origin and maintenance of NP.
Biodol Therapeutics specifically demonstrated that FLT3 is necessary and sufficient to generate experimental NP in animals. Most importantly, Biodol Therapeutics showed that inhibiting FLT3 reduces allodynia and pain hypersensitivity, the two main symptoms of NP, without affecting normal nervous system functioning (Nature Communications 2018
). Moreover, recent discoveries by Biodol Therapeutics extend the scope of indications to those amenable to treatment with opioids, which could be improved (morphine-dose sparing). This latter advance significantly expands the targeted market, especially in the US, which is fighting the Opioid Crisis. Biodol Therapeutics owns the exclusive rights on a portfolio of 5 patents including an international one claiming the use of any FLT3 inhibitor to treat NP, granted in the United States and currently under favorable examination in Europe and one protecting the use of any FLT3 inhibitor in combination with opioids (filed in 2017).
Biodol Therapeutics operates parallel preclinical development of innovative and proprietary FLT3 inhibitors (BDT compounds).
Biodol Therapeutics has already identified lead compounds which target the extracellular domain of receptor and are active in vivo to reduce NP symptoms. The BDT compounds are protected by a composition-of-matter patent owned by the company (international filing 2015).
Biodol Therapeutics has significant differentiating factors, which makes it a unique opportunity for investment and partnership:
• Breakthrough in the physiopathology of chronic NP: identification of FLT3 as a key controller
• Strong IP position
• Treatment specific to NP, with clear competitive advantages compared to existing treatments
• Potential to cover most chronic pain indications, through newly discovered interactions with opioids
• No direct competition and limited competition from compounds acting through other targets
• World total market for the targeted indications estimated to be US$23 billion per year
• Strong, well experienced and dedicated team.